Pizza is a beloved food that has been enjoyed for generations. While traditional pizza ovens are great, they can be expensive and take up a lot of space. This is where a grill for pizza comes in. A grill designed for pizza can give you the same delicious results while also being versatile enough to cook other foods.
When it comes to purchasing a grill for pizza, there are a few things to keep in mind. The first consideration is the size of the grill. You want to make sure it’s big enough to fit the size of your pizza while also being small enough to fit in your outdoor space. Another important factor is the temperature range of the grill. You want a grill that can reach high temperatures to properly cook your pizza.
We spent hours researching and testing various grills for pizza to identify the best ones on the market. With our expertise, we’ve narrowed down the options to the top grills that will give you the perfect pizza every time.
Best Grills for Pizza
We all know that pizza is a universal favorite, but have you ever tried making it on a grill? Grilling pizza is not only fun but also adds a unique smoky flavor to your pizza that you can’t achieve in an oven. However, not all grills are created equal when it comes to making perfect pizzas. That’s why we’ve rounded up the best grills for pizza that will help you achieve restaurant-quality results in your own backyard. Check out our top picks below.
If you’re looking to turn your grill into a pizza-making machine, the Cuisinart Grill Top Pizza Oven Kit is an excellent choice.
- The oven is powered solely by your grill, making it easy to use with gas, charcoal, or pellet grills.
- The cordierite baking stone produces a perfectly cooked crust each time.
- The integrated thermometer allows you to easily track the temperature of the oven while in use.
- The pizza peel is a bit flimsy and may not hold up over time.
- The oven can be difficult to clean, especially if you don’t clean it immediately after use.
- The oven is on the heavy side, so it may be difficult to move around if you need to.
We recently had the opportunity to try out the Cuisinart Grill Top Pizza Oven Kit, and we were impressed with its performance. The oven box sits directly on the cooking surface of your grill and is powered by the heat source of your grill. This makes it easy to use with gas, charcoal, or pellet grills.
The cordierite baking stone is ideal for retaining heat and producing a perfectly cooked crust. We were also impressed with the reflective heat provided by the stainless steel sides, which helped to cook the toppings evenly.
The integrated thermometer is a nice touch, allowing you to easily track the temperature of the oven while in use. We found it to be accurate and easy to read.
One downside to the kit is the pizza peel, which is a bit flimsy and may not hold up over time. We also found the oven to be a bit difficult to clean, especially if we didn’t clean it immediately after use.
Overall, we think the Cuisinart Grill Top Pizza Oven Kit is an excellent choice if you’re looking to make delicious pizza on your grill. It’s easy to use, produces great results, and is versatile enough to be used for a variety of other foods as well.
If you’re looking for a way to cook delicious, wood-fired pizza in your own backyard, the KettlePizza Basic Pizza Oven Kit is a great option.
- The kit is easy to install on top of your existing 18.5 or 22.5 inch kettle grill, transforming it into a pizza oven.
- The stainless steel sleeve helps maintain a constant high heat, ensuring your pizza cooks evenly.
- The kit is made in the USA and comes with a high-temp thermometer, wood handles, and a 14 inch pro pizza pan.
- Some assembly is required, but no tools are needed.
- The kit does not come with a pizza stone or peel, but these can be purchased separately.
- The kit only works with charcoal or hardwood, so if you prefer gas grilling, this may not be the right product for you.
We recently tried out the KettlePizza Basic Pizza Oven Kit on our Weber One Touch Gold 22.5 inch grill and were impressed with the results. The kit was easy to install and the high-temp thermometer helped us keep the temperature steady throughout the cooking process. The 14 inch pro pizza pan was the perfect size for our homemade pizzas and the wood handles made it easy to move the pan in and out of the oven.
One thing to note is that the kit does not come with a pizza stone or peel, so we had to purchase these separately. However, we were able to find a great set on Amazon that worked perfectly with the kit.
Overall, we would highly recommend the KettlePizza Basic Pizza Oven Kit to anyone looking to cook delicious, wood-fired pizza in their own backyard. It’s a great way to transform your existing grill into a pizza oven and the high-quality materials and construction make it a product that will last for years to come.
If you’re looking for a portable outdoor pizza oven that can be used on your gas or charcoal grill, the Grilife Outdoor Pizza Oven Grill Top Pizza Oven with Stone is a great option. It’s easy to use, heats up quickly, and produces delicious pizzas with crispy crusts.
- The pizza oven is made of high-quality stainless steel material, which makes it sturdy, rust-resistant, and durable.
- The lightweight non-slip handle design makes it easy to carry and store.
- It’s easy to install and use, and easy to clean.
- It takes a bit of time to heat up, so you might have to wait a bit before you can start cooking your pizza.
- The pizza stone can be a bit fragile, so you’ll need to be careful when handling it.
- The pizza oven is only suitable for outdoor use.
We recently tried out the Grilife Outdoor Pizza Oven Grill Top Pizza Oven with Stone, and we were impressed with how easy it was to use. We simply put it on our grill, spread the heat evenly, and cooked our pizza to perfection. The pizza stone ensured that the crust was crispy and delicious, and the stainless steel material made it sturdy and durable.
One thing to note is that it takes a bit of time to heat up, so you’ll need to be patient before you can start cooking your pizza. However, once it’s heated up, it cooks the pizza quickly and evenly, so you won’t have to wait long before you can enjoy your delicious pizza.
Overall, we would definitely recommend the Grilife Outdoor Pizza Oven Grill Top Pizza Oven with Stone for anyone who loves pizza and wants to cook it outdoors. It’s a great investment that will allow you to enjoy delicious pizza with your family and friends, and it’s easy to use, easy to clean, and easy to store.
If you’re looking for a portable pizza oven that can bake delicious pizzas in just a few minutes, then the GRILIFE Pizza Oven is worth considering.
- Efficient pizza oven that heats up quickly
- Lightweight and portable, making it easy to carry and store
- Multipurpose oven suitable for gas, wood fired, charcoal, pellet
- The pizza peel slots may not work well with cornmeal
- The thermometer may stop working after extended use
- The stone may crack easily
We were impressed with how quickly the GRILIFE Pizza Oven heated up and how easy it was to use. The portable pizza oven is lightweight and compact, making it an ideal choice for outdoor activities such as camping, parties, and barbecues. We also appreciated the oven’s versatility, as it can be used for baking pizza, toasting bread, grilling meat, and roasting desserts.
However, we did find a few downsides to the GRILIFE Pizza Oven. The slots on the pizza peel may not work well with cornmeal, which can make it difficult to slide the pizza off. Additionally, the thermometer may stop working after extended use, making it harder to track the temperature. Finally, the stone may crack easily, which can be frustrating if you’re looking for a long-lasting pizza oven.
Overall, we would recommend the GRILIFE Pizza Oven for those who are looking for an efficient and portable pizza oven that can be used for a variety of purposes. However, if you’re looking for a pizza oven that can withstand heavy use, you may want to consider other options.
If you’re looking for an outdoor pizza oven that will make delicious and crispy pizzas, the Geras Pizza Oven Outdoor for Grill is a great choice.
- The pizza oven kit is easy to use and doesn’t require any assembling.
- The cordierite stone absorbs steam in the dough, resulting in a soft and crispy crust.
- The oven lid makes it easy to open and the built-in thermometer helps monitor the temperature.
- The oven is a bit lighter than expected but still sturdy.
- The grill lid won’t fully close when using the oven.
- It takes some time to preheat the oven.
We recently used this pizza oven kit on our gas grill and were pleasantly surprised by how easy and practical it was to use. The pizza stone distributed heat evenly throughout the entire pizza, resulting in a delicious and crispy crust. The cordierite stone absorbed the steam in the dough, making the inside soft and the crust crispy.
The oven kit comes with a pizza oven made of rolled iron sheet with high temperature powder coated technology, a cordierite ceramic stone, an aluminum pizza steel and a bonus recipe booklet. The kit doesn’t require any assembling and is very easy to use, thanks to the strong handles for carrying, the oven lid to easily open the oven, and the built-in thermometer to monitor the temperature.
One thing to keep in mind is that the oven is a bit lighter than expected, but still sturdy enough to use on most gas or charcoal grills. Also, the grill lid won’t fully close when using the oven, which can make preheating take a bit longer than expected. However, once the oven is hot, it cooks delicious pizzas in just a few minutes.
Overall, we highly recommend the Geras Pizza Oven Outdoor for Grill for anyone looking for an easy-to-use and practical pizza oven kit that will make delicious and crispy pizzas.
When it comes to finding the best grill for pizza, there are a few key features to consider. We’ve put together a guide to help you choose the perfect product for your needs.
The first thing to consider is the type of fuel the grill uses. There are three main options: gas, charcoal, and wood-fired. Gas grills are convenient and easy to use, while charcoal and wood-fired grills offer a smoky flavor that many people prefer. Consider which type of fuel you prefer and choose a grill that uses that fuel.
The temperature range of the grill is also important. Look for a grill that can reach high temperatures of at least 700 degrees Fahrenheit. This will ensure that your pizza cooks quickly and evenly, with a crispy crust and perfectly melted cheese.
The size of the grill is another important factor. Consider how many pizzas you’ll be cooking at once and choose a grill that can accommodate that number. A larger grill will also give you more space to cook other foods alongside your pizza.
Finally, consider any additional features that the grill may offer. Some grills come with built-in thermometers, which can help you monitor the temperature of the grill and ensure that your pizza is cooking at the right temperature. Others may have adjustable burners, which allow you to control the heat more precisely.
In summary, when choosing the best grill for pizza, consider the fuel type, temperature range, size, and any additional features that may be important to you. By taking these factors into account, you’ll be able to find a grill that meets your needs and helps you make delicious pizza at home.
How Does It Work
When it comes to grilling pizza, the right grill can make all the difference. But how exactly does a grill designed for pizza work?
First and foremost, a good pizza grill should be able to reach high temperatures, ideally around 700 to 800 degrees Fahrenheit. This is important for achieving that crispy, slightly charred crust that is so essential to a great pizza.
Direct heat is also key to cooking a pizza on the grill. This means that the pizza is placed directly over the heat source, which can be a gas burner or charcoal fire. However, it’s important to have some level of temperature control, as too much direct heat can quickly burn the crust.
Many pizza grills also offer the option of indirect heat, which means that the pizza is placed away from the heat source and cooked more slowly. This can be useful for cooking thicker pizzas or for avoiding hot spots on the grill.
Temperature control is another important feature of a good pizza grill. Look for a grill with adjustable burners or vents that allow you to fine-tune the heat to your liking.
When it comes to fuel options, there are a few different choices. Gas grills are convenient and easy to use, but some people prefer the smoky flavor that comes from cooking with charcoal. There are also hybrid grills that allow you to use both gas and charcoal, giving you the best of both worlds.
Even heating is crucial for cooking a pizza evenly. Look for a grill with a thick, heavy cooking surface that will retain heat and distribute it evenly across the pizza. Cast iron or ceramic pizza stones are popular options for achieving this.
Finally, it’s important to watch out for hot spots on the grill. These are areas that are hotter than others, and can cause uneven cooking or burning. A good pizza grill should have a cooking surface that is designed to minimize hot spots and promote even cooking.
Overall, a good pizza grill should be able to reach high temperatures, offer direct and indirect heat options, have temperature control, offer fuel options, provide even heating, and minimize hot spots. With these features in mind, you’ll be well on your way to grilling up delicious, restaurant-quality pizzas in no time.
When it comes to cooking pizza on the grill, having the right equipment can make all the difference. Here are some benefits of using a quality grill specifically designed for pizza:
- Easy to clean: Pizza grills are typically designed with non-stick surfaces and removable parts, making them easy to clean and maintain.
- Multiple burners: Many pizza grills come with multiple burners, allowing for greater control over the cooking temperature and ensuring that the pizza is cooked evenly.
- Room temperature: Pizza grills are designed to reach high temperatures quickly, so there’s no need to preheat the oven or wait for it to reach the desired temperature.
- Even heating: Pizza grills are designed to distribute heat evenly across the cooking surface, ensuring that the pizza is cooked evenly and thoroughly.
- Even cooking: With a pizza grill, the pizza is cooked directly on the cooking surface, ensuring that the crust is crispy and the toppings are cooked to perfection.
- Wheels: Many pizza grills come with wheels, making them easy to move around and store when not in use.
Overall, a quality pizza grill can make cooking pizza at home a breeze. With its easy-to-clean design, multiple burners, and even heating, you’ll be able to cook delicious pizzas with ease and confidence.
When it comes to finding the best grill for pizza, there are a few key features to look for. These features include:
A pizza stone is an essential accessory for any grill used for making pizza. It helps to evenly distribute heat, ensuring that the pizza cooks evenly and the crust is crispy. Look for a grill that comes with a pizza stone or has the option to add one.
Grill grates are another important feature to consider when choosing a grill for pizza. Porcelain-coated cast-iron grates are a great option as they provide a non-stick surface and retain heat well. Look for grates that are easy to clean and maintain.
Accessories such as pizza peels, pizza cutters, and pizza pans can make the pizza-making process much easier. Look for a grill that has accessories available or can accommodate aftermarket accessories.
A smoker can add a unique flavor to your pizza. Look for a grill that has a smoker option or can be used with wood pellets for smoking.
Grills can run on propane, natural gas, or wood pellets. Consider which fuel source is most convenient and cost-effective for your needs.
A griddle can be a useful addition to a grill for making other types of food, such as breakfast items. Look for a grill that has a griddle option or can accommodate an aftermarket griddle.
Overall, these features are essential to consider when choosing the best grill for pizza.
When it comes to finding the best grill for pizza, there are several options available in the market. Each type of grill has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to compare them before making a decision.
Gas grills are a popular choice for many people due to their convenience and ease of use. They heat up quickly and allow for precise temperature control, making them ideal for cooking pizza. However, they can be expensive and require a constant supply of propane gas.
Charcoal grills are a classic choice for outdoor cooking enthusiasts. They impart a unique smoky flavor to the pizza and are generally more affordable than gas grills. However, they require more time and effort to set up and maintain, and can be difficult to control the temperature.
Pellet grills are a newer type of grill that use wood pellets as fuel. They offer the convenience of gas grills with the smoky flavor of charcoal grills. They are also very versatile and can be used for smoking, grilling, and baking. However, they can be expensive and require a power source to operate.
Weber is a well-known brand in the grilling world, and their grills are known for their quality and durability. The Weber Genesis II is a popular gas grill that is often recommended for cooking pizza. It has a large cooking surface and precise temperature control.
Traeger is another popular brand that specializes in pellet grills. Their grills are known for their ease of use and versatility. The Traeger Pro Series 575 is a popular choice for cooking pizza, as it has a large cooking surface and precise temperature control.
Overall, the best grill for pizza will depend on your personal preferences and needs. Gas grills are convenient and easy to use, while charcoal grills offer a unique smoky flavor. Pellet grills offer the best of both worlds, but can be expensive. Weber and Traeger are both reputable brands that offer quality grills for cooking pizza.
Pros and Cons
Grilling pizza is a delicious way to enjoy a homemade pizza with a crispy crust and grill marks. However, before investing in a grill for pizza, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons.
- Quick Cooking Time: Grilling pizza can take as little as 15 minutes, making it a great option for busy weeknights.
- Crispy Crust: Grilling pizza can result in a crispy crust that is hard to achieve in a traditional oven.
- Customizable Toppings: Whether using prepared pizza dough or making pizza dough from scratch, grilling pizza allows for endless topping options, including favorite toppings like pepperoni, mushrooms, and onions.
- Grill Marks: Grilling pizza gives it a unique and appetizing look with grill marks on the crust.
- Prep Time: Grilling pizza requires some prep time, including preparing the pizza dough and toppings before grilling.
- Grilling Time: Grilling pizza can take longer than cooking it in a traditional oven, especially if the grill is not preheated properly.
- Chewy Crust: While some people prefer a chewy crust, grilling pizza can result in a crust that is too chewy for some tastes.
- Pizza Sauce and Cheese: Grilling pizza can cause the sauce and cheese to slide off the pizza, so it’s important to use the right amount and type of sauce and cheese.
Overall, grilling pizza is a great option for those looking for a quick and delicious meal with a crispy crust and unique grill marks. However, it’s important to consider the prep and grilling time, as well as the potential for a chewy crust and sliding toppings.
When it comes to grilling pizza, there are a few common questions that people tend to have. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions, along with their answers:
- Can you grill pizza on any type of grill? Yes, you can grill pizza on any type of grill, whether it’s gas, charcoal, or pellet. However, some grills may be better suited to grilling pizza than others. For example, pellet grills are known for their even cooking and ability to infuse food with smoky flavor, which can be a great fit for grilled pizza.
- What toppings work well on grilled pizza? Just like with traditional pizza, the toppings you choose for grilled pizza are entirely up to you. However, it’s worth noting that some toppings may work better than others when it comes to grilling. For example, vegetables like onions, peppers, and mushrooms tend to grill well, while delicate ingredients like fresh herbs may burn or wilt.
- Do you need a pizza peel to grill pizza? While a pizza peel can make it easier to transfer your pizza onto the grill, it’s not strictly necessary. You can also use a spatula and tongs to transfer your pizza onto the grill.
- How do you prepare the grill for pizza? To prepare your grill for pizza, you’ll want to make sure it’s clean and well-oiled. You can also preheat the grill to a high temperature to ensure even cooking. It’s also a good idea to have all of your toppings and sauce ready to go before you start grilling.
- Can you grill frozen pizza? While it’s possible to grill frozen pizza, it may not turn out as well as fresh pizza. Frozen pizza tends to be more delicate and may fall apart on the grill. If you do choose to grill frozen pizza, make sure to keep a close eye on it and use a lower heat setting to prevent burning.
- How do you achieve even cooking on the grill? To achieve even cooking on the grill, it’s important to keep the heat consistent and avoid hot spots. You can also rotate your pizza periodically to ensure that it cooks evenly on all sides.
Overall, grilling pizza can be a fun and delicious way to enjoy outdoor cooking. With a few simple tips and tricks, you can create a crispy, flavorful pizza right on your grill.
While a pizza oven is the ideal tool for making pizza, it is not always practical or affordable for everyone. Fortunately, there are some alternatives that can still deliver great results.
Grilling on a Gas Grill
A gas grill can be a good alternative to a pizza oven. Preheat the grill on high for at least 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to medium-low. Place the pizza on the grill grates and close the lid. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then rotate the pizza 90 degrees and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Use a pizza peel or tongs to remove the pizza from the grill.
Grilling on a Charcoal Grill
A charcoal grill can also be used to grill pizza. Light the charcoal and let it burn until it is covered in white ash. Move the coals to one side of the grill and place the pizza on the other side. Close the lid and cook for 3-4 minutes, then rotate the pizza 90 degrees and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Use a pizza peel or tongs to remove the pizza from the grill.
Using a Pizza Stone
If you already have a grill but want to improve your pizza-making game, consider using a pizza stone. Place the pizza stone on the grill grates and preheat the grill on high for at least 15 minutes. Slide the pizza onto the pizza stone and close the lid. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then rotate the pizza 90 degrees and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Use a pizza peel or tongs to remove the pizza from the grill.
Homemade Pizza Kits
For those who want to make pizza at home but don’t want to invest in a pizza oven or grill, there are pizza kits available that include all the ingredients needed to make a pizza at home. These kits typically include dough, sauce, cheese, and toppings. Follow the instructions on the kit to make the pizza, then bake it in a conventional oven.
When it comes to grilling pizza, having the right grill can make all the difference. Pizza lovers who enjoy grilling pizza will appreciate the convenience and versatility of a grill that can handle high temperatures and provide even cooking.
Using prepared pizza dough and experimenting with different pizza toppings and sauce can help you create a delicious pizza. However, achieving the perfect crispy crust and grill marks requires careful attention to temperature and timing.
After researching and testing various grills, it is clear that the best grill for pizza is one that can reach high temperatures and maintain consistent heat. A grill with a built-in pizza stone or a separate pizza stone accessory can also help ensure even cooking and a crispy crust.
Ultimately, the success of grilling pizza depends on the grill and the techniques used. With the right grill and attention to detail, anyone can achieve a delicious and satisfying grilled pizza.